Detailed timeline of actions following March 9 allegation

UO releases detailed timeline of actions following March 9 allegation

The University of Oregon today released a detailed chronology outlining steps taken since the initial report of a sexual assault allegation March 9.

While not exhaustive, the timeline pulls together information from a number of different departments or division on campus that have been involved in the comprehensive response to the report. As with any complaint there are four processes at work:

  • meeting federal obligation to investigate
  • university code of conduct
  • support services for survivor  
  • criminal investigation

This timeline does not provide specifics on any outreach and services provided, out of respect for student privacy and the need to maintain confidentiality around many specifics.

The information reflects remarks President Michael Gottfredson made during a May 9 news conference that “We have, and we will continue, to pursue all appropriate action in this case. We have clear, established policies and protocols that we follow in all such cases. When and if we can share additional information, I assure you we will.”

Chronology of events:

The president's and the university's guiding principles in handling incidents of sexual violence are ensuring the safety of students and the public, providing support services and resources to survivors, and protecting the integrity of any criminal investigation. The timeline below contains information from the Eugene Police investigation report, from directory information, or communication not contained in an educational record (e.g., verbal account not involving student.) It is not an exhaustive list of all services provided or actions taken because that information is protected by student privacy laws.

March 8/9: Alleged sexual assault incident involving three members of the men’s basketball team occurs at parties at two off-campus locations. (Information from EPD investigation report)

March 9: Survivor tells her father of the incident; father contacts UOPD. UOPD attempts to contact survivor twice; she does not return calls. (Information from EPD investigation report) University immediately implements policies and procedures used whenever anyone reports sexual violence. In every case these processes would include support and services for survivors and a code of conduct investigation.  

March 11: Survivor prepares her own description of the incident, which she does not share with police until March 14. (Information from EPD investigation report)

March 13 - 14: Survivor contacts Eugene Police Department. Officer interviews survivor on campus. She tells the officer she wants to report the information in her own time. A detective contacts and interviews her on March 14, asks her to record phone conversations with suspects. She agrees. (Information from EPD investigation report)

March 17: Eugene Police detective contacts survivor, who confirms that she recorded phone calls with two suspects. The survivor delivers the recordings to Eugene Police. (Information from EPD investigation report)

March 17: UO asks Eugene police specifically if any players should be kept back from the NCAA Tournament, or if contingency plans should be made to return them to campus. EPD advises the university to do nothing to alert the players to the investigation, to do what they normally would do regarding who plays and who doesn’t. EPD declines to reveal the names of any players.

March 18: UO contacts Eugene police again to ask if the players should travel to the tournament. EPD again advises the university not to alter their plans.

March 19: President Gottfredson learns the names of the student-athletes being investigated. The president maintains the confidentiality of this information to protect the integrity of the criminal investigation.

March 20 – April 3: Eugene Police investigation continues.

March 21: UOPD contacts EPD to request an update, confirming that fact gathering was ongoing.

March 26: UO General Counsel contacts EPD to request an update, confirming that fact gathering was ongoing.

April 3: EPD investigator interviews two suspects and arranges to interview a third suspect, who asks to speak with an attorney. (Information from EPD investigation report)

April 7: UO calls EPD to request an update and learns that the investigation is not yet complete.

April 7: EPD investigator contacted by player’s attorney. Attorney provides short synopsis of his version of events, which is similar to those provided by the two other players. (Information from EPD investigation report)

April 8: EPD investigation is complete and the report is sent to Lane County District Attorney. (Information from EPD investigation report)

April 8: EPD informs the UO that it is suspending fact gathering. UO immediately begins its fact gathering. UO requests the police report from EPD. Police say the report is not going to be released because it has not yet been redacted and attorneys must review the report.

April 14: Lane County District Attorney notifies EPD that they will not file criminal charges. (Information from Eugene Police)

April 22: UO makes request for police report from the Lane County DA.

April 23: UO follows up on request for police report with Lane County DA.

April 24: UO receives 24-page redacted police report from the Lane County DA.

April 25-28: UO conducts internal legal review of the police report.

April 28: President Gottfredson is briefed on police report.

April 29: Athletic Director Rob Mullens reviews the police report.

April 30: Dana Altman reviews the police report.

May 1: Three student-athletes are suspended from the basketball team, and will no longer be participating in basketball at the University of Oregon.